If you are concerned that your child is an immediate danger to themselves or someone else:
Please call 911 or take them to the nearest emergency room. For many of families local to the Tree House, that hospital is Shady Grove Adventist Hospital. However, please verify that this is the closest hospital for your family; Shady Grove Adventist Hospital, 9901 Medical Center, Rockville, MD 20850
To report child abuse in Montgomery County, call Child Welfare Services via the 24-hour hotline at 240-777-4417
To report rape or violence within an interpersonal relationship, call 911.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Available 24 hours a day.
- For use in a suicidal emergency or emotional distress. Your child does not have to be immediately suicidal to use this Lifeline. In fact, it is often most helpful if they call before the stress has become overwhelming.
- The website also has an on-line chat option if you prefer this to calling.
Crisis Text Line
- Free confidential support through text messaging.
- Text HOME to 741741
Montgomery County Mobile Crisis Center
- The Mobile Crisis Center is available 24 hours per day and serves people of all ages. They provide free emergency evaluation and services by walk-in, phone call, or mobile crisis team outreach, in which the crisis team comes to your home during an urgent situation.
- You must be a Montgomery County resident to utilize their services.
- The Crisis Center also has a small number of beds available, for overnight use, in place of hospitalization. -800-This service is available for people who do not have insurance or are insured ‘through the public mental health system.
- Location: 1301 Piccard Drive, Rockville, MD 20850, Ph: 240-777-4000 TTY: 240-777-4815; https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HHS-Program/BHCS/BHCS24hrcrisiscenter-p204.html
Apps, Websites & Reading Resources
These resources can support your child or teen in learning to identify or manage strong emotions. These books are not intended to be a substitute for therapy but can be used in addition or for additional support outside of session.
Breathe Like a Bear by Kira Willey
Box of Mixed Emotions by Brittany Candau (from Disney/Pixar’s Inside Out)
How Are You Peeling? by Saxton Freymann & Joost Elffers
The Way I Feel by Janan Cain
GoNoodle - an app and website that has relaxation exercises, tools for managing strong emotions, and movement activities.
For Kids & Teens:Headspace app